Both Dubai counseling and therapy usually involve talking with an experienced professional – most states require both counseling and therapy training for professionals who want to counsel people. Counseling is usually the initial step toward therapy, which can include one-on-one therapy or group therapy. The objective of counseling is to reach an understanding between you and your intended audience, usually an unbiased third party. In counseling, the counselor helps the client realize his problem and how it affects his or her ability to live a meaningful life. Typically, a counselor will suggest lifestyle changes, such as diet control or exercise, and give the client ways to cope with the stressor.
- For psychotherapy, the objective is to find and treat psychological disorders and doing depression treatment in Dubai, often focusing on severe mental illnesses such as schizophrenia or post-traumatic stress disorder. This type of psychotherapy often requires long-term participation.
- It can be helpful in addressing the short-term traumatic stress associated with an acute onset of a mental illness, but its effectiveness is sometimes limited by the client’s personality.
Cognitive behavioral psychotherapy:
- (CBT) focuses on changing the way people react to situations in hopes of reducing their anxiety and depression. CBT can be helpful in combating the negative beliefs that lead to dysfunctional thinking patterns and behaviors.
- This form of psychotherapy has been proven to be effective in treating long-term problems such as alcohol abuse or eating disorders.
- It combines aspects of cognitive behavioral therapy. Therapists who perform this therapy focus on clients’ unconscious causes of emotional pain, which they believe cause their illnesses. They attempt to find these causes through a series of analysis, exploration and interpersonal work.
- A therapist working with this form of psychotherapy will ask clients to remember and reflect back what they think and feel when these thoughts and feelings occur. Clients also have to describe how these thoughts and feelings make them feel on a daily basis.
Marriage and family counseling:
- These are often used interchangeably. Marriage and family counseling are focused on helping couples who are experiencing difficulties in their relationships.
- The goal of marriage and family counseling is to improve the skills of couples in order to create and maintain healthy relationships.
- Many psychologists and counselors prefer to work with one-on-one or small group settings.
Counseling sessions often begin with an assessment and then a tailored program of one or several types of counseling.